All Patients will be asked to sign acknowledging the receipt of this Notice of Privacy Practices from us. This notice describes how your medical information may be used and disclosed by us and how you may gain access to your medical information. Please review the following carefully so that you may understand your rights as a patient under the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
Our Responsibilities to You under HIPAA: WE MUST
1. Maintain the privacy of your medical information.
2. Provide you with our Notice of Privacy Practices when requested.
3. Post a copy of our Notice of Privacy Practices in a conspicuous place in our office.
4. Abide by the terms of our Notice of Privacy Practices.
Your Rights as a Patient under HIPAA: YOU MAY
1. Request a copy of certain portions of your medical records.
2. Request that your medical information in our records be changed if you feel it is not accurate.
3. Receive an accounting of the manner in which your medical information has been disclosed to various persons or agencies other than approved routine uses such as for the purposes of insurances, billing, and as needed by your other doctors.
4. Request restrictions on how we use or disclose your medical information.
5. Request that we communicate with you in certain manner or at a certain location (for example, at home rather than at work, or directly rather than through your spouse.)
6. File a complaint with us or the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services if you believe your rights under HIPAA have been violated.